However, the organizational environment plays a role in creating and sustaining bad behavior.
Here are five organizational characteristics that contribute to poor workplace relationships:
- extremely competitive obsession with outcomes
- recruitment, promotion, and reward systems which focus on individuals interpersonal aggressiveness and length of service rather than emotional intelligence
- focus on short-term and not long-term planning
- narrow definitions of illegal incidents
- promotion of fear as a dominant desired workplace emotion
Namie, G. (2003). Workplace bullying: Escalated incivility. Ivey Business Journal, 13, 1–6.